Today's SideProject is more likely to become tomorrow's Startup.
Did you know the $BN Postman was a side project for many years?
[Source: The Ken] https://the-ken.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/postman.jpg
Postman founders Abhinav Asthana and Ankit Sobti discovered they had developed something that people wanted almost immediately. Their first offering was a "weekend project" that they had rigged up literally overnight. They released it as a free utility on the Google Chrome Web Store in 2012, two years before they incorporated a company. That product saw over 2,000 downloads in a matter of days and kickstarted a journey that has taken them to a US$2 billion valuation today.
Girish Mathrubootham started a side project in 2010!
On May 18th, 2010, when I was post-lunch reaching on Hacker News discussion boards. I was actually not thinking about starting a startup. So, I had two kids in school. I was living with my wife in Chennai. So, I had a home mortgage. So, it was not an ideal situation to jump into entrepreneurship.
DigitalDeepak's Founder Deepak Kanakraju's journey
The first try was opening a blog at Blogger.com and opening an AdSense account to place ad blocks on the blog. I made a dummy blog and put the ad codes in it (at that time AdSense accounts were approved for everyone who applied). Eventually, I learned that one needs a lot of traffic to earn revenue from ads. And to get a lot of traffic, one needs to have quality content.....I started BikeAdvice.in. That’s how my first business was born.
Deepak has built a multi-million $ business...
100's of such success was a side project.
You don't have to drop out of school/college/universities to launch a side project.
You don't have to quit your job to launch a side project.
Google has encouraged its employees to devote 20% of their time to side projects.
Why won't you for yourself? Or for your career advancement? 🤔
A side project is not just about making instant money, and you could create a long-term game of exploring something that is your interest or see someone facing pains. Remember the examples of Postman or Girish's pain for his relocation customer support pain. Even Linux was a Side Project of Linus Torvalds.
When we launched Foundership, the goal has been to be the catalyst.
Foundership is The catalyst
- helping launch side projects,
- helping launch startups,
- helping startups do the finest execution,
- helping startups raise capital,
- helping startups succeed with founders & leaders community.
With the mission as a catalyst in helping launch startups, we are going to the root of startup creation: Launch -> Learn -> Build with Peer -> Experiment Side Project(s).
Announcing a new Cohort-Based Program: Build a SideProject with NoCode. In 4 weeks, build a side project with no code with the support of experienced no code mentors, platform builders and creators.
Here's how the program is structured
Free to apply. We review each application to select participants.
1 Program Director: Santosh Panda
1 Program Lead: Bhanu V
15 Founders & Leaders as Program Mentors
+ Several surprise Guest Mentors (successful, hands-on to share their secrets/practices to build better)
The program will be a four-week duration.
Every week in the cohort will have the following activities:
- Weekly: The program creator will drive a session to help you learn + apply the weekly goal. Review week cohort progress.
- Regularly: One Program mentor will host workshops, Q&A sessions and help answer specific questions regularly as per their availability.
- Frequently Scheduled: Peer learning & working sessions among sub-groups to check progress and goals.
- Async/Real-time: Discussions, calls and messaging among participants, program creators, mentors, coordinators to help overcome challenges, share feedback, and connect.
Developing ideas/side projects requires much more technical expertise, know-how, time and money, and finding the right skilled people to get your ideas to the basics stage.
In number, this may take 3 to 6 months of effort and cost to get the basic product (minimum viable product) for the initial 50 customers (B2B) or 500 consumers (B2C) can play and share their 'usage' feedback. This could cost a few lakh INR or a few thousand dollars.
- You don't have to be a programmer to launch MVP.
- You don't have to worry about design complexities (UI or UX).
- You will have time to show several quick demos to gather customer feedback
- You will reduce the development cost by up to 80%
- Whether you are a marketer, developer, designer, content creator, or someone with basic web knowledge, you can launch your idea with NoCode.
- And, you can Build Mobile App, Web App, Micro-SaaS, ECommerce site, Community, Automation and more using various NoCode Tools.· · ·
Want to see your ideas into reality by launching it as a Side project with NoCode?
- We review in First Come First Review order.
- Only 50 participants in the first cohort.
- Cohort Starts 25th Sept.
- Along with 17-20 founders and leaders as Program mentors, I invite you to build Side Projects.
Unlike other Side Project /NoCode programs, the Foundership "Build a Side Project with NoCode Program" is a 100% outcome-driven, cohort-based program designed to help you navigate to learn, apply and build your idea to a reality.
· · ·
Foundership is where an incredible peer network of founders & leaders help startups succeed with Coaching, Capital and Connect.